DirecTV Now will launch without CBS

 
 
If Leslie Moonves were a sitcom character, it would be the cold, unemotional Sheldon Cooper from CBS’ “Big Bang Theory.”

That much become clear this week when the latest streaming service, DirecTV Now, said it will launch Nov. 30 without Moonves’ CBS.

It’s at least the third streaming service — after Hulu’s proposed service and Sling TV’s current service — that the 67-year-old chief executive allowed to launch without his top-rated broadcast network.

Read more: DirecTV Now will launch without CBS

Tech firms and TV programmers eye get-together

Last week’s media sector meltdown is prompting merger talk anew — but several industry players said Monday that if there are get-togethers on the horizon, they’ll just as likely be between tech firms and TV programmers.

“You’re going to see some traditional players making some unusual moves in the next six months,” said Jimmy Schaeffler, a pay-TV consultant at the Carmel Group.

“There is a rumor that a big player is going to make Netflix an offer they can’t refuse,” Schaeffler said. “Dire times call for significant maneuvers.”

The whispers were made all the more loud after the media-stock plunge last week in the wake of disappointing news from ESPN and Viacom.

Also bringing the chatter to an audible pitch was a report from MoffettNathanson last week on a tough second quarter for the industry.

In the second quarter, pay-TV distributors suffered the ninth quarter out of 11 of declining subscribers, dropping a worse-than-expected 0.7 percent of their universe, or 236,000 households.

That’s the most abysmal figure on record and a steeper decline from last year’s comparable period, when the industry fell by 199,000 subscribers.

The report also suggests the ad market in the second-quarter period fell by 2.7 percent, to $9.221 billion.

“Advertising — the weakest quarter in a non-recession year ever,” the boutique research firm noted.

Ad-tech expert Dave Morgan, co-founder of Simulmedia, told The Post: “Apple, Amazon, Google and Facebook: I don’t know how they don’t own video content production and distribution over the next few years.”

Time Warner Cable Chief Executive Rob Marcus may be the most optimistic boss in cable-land.

Pursued by a takeover-hungry Charter Communications, Marcus on Thursday reported a stronger-than-expected fourth-quarter profit and projected one million new subscribers as part of a rosy three-year operating plan.

Read more: TWC chief paints rosy view of 1M new subscribers

“It’s a great time to draft on the momentum that Comcast and [TWC] are going to achieve, and they will,” said industry consultant Jimmy Schaeffler of The Carmel Group.

Read more: Dish makes advances on DirecTV

TV programmers got some early presents this year — healthy fee increases from Time Warner Cable, sources tell The Post.

The New York cable company — after getting strafed with bad publicity during and after it blacked out CBS last summer when the two failed to ink a new carriage deal — has been playing nice guy, striking new arrangements with A&E Television Networks, Discovery Communications and, on Tuesday, Viacom, sources said.

Read more: TWC Viacom Renew Programming Pact

Page 1 of 2